Thursday, November 1, 2012

First Impression: Bella Rocket Blender vs. Magic Bullet

So part of the whole clean(er) eating thing included incorporating multiples of fruits & veggies the easiest way ever - juices & smoothies. So getting a juicer/blender/food processor of sorts has been on my to-do list for some time now. But ever since some fancy friends got a Vitamix as a wedding present, I've been turning my nose up at the standard blenders. I'm a one extreme or the other kind of gal. All in or not at all. Top notch or super chill, no big deal. So when I stumbled upon the Bella Rocket Blender 12-piece set on sale for $19.99 at Macy's, it kind of piqued my super chill, no big deal interest...


For those of you who use or own the "Magic Bullet", you know that it retails for anywhere between $50-$80, depending on if you get the 17-piece express or the Deluxe with like 80 some odd pieces. I personally don't really see the need for a bajillion pieces that I have to hand wash if I want them to last, cluttering up my limited cabinet space, so the 12 pieces the Bella offered were just enough for me. 


There are 3 jars, two different sized blades, then a few lids, strainers and rims to convert the blending jars to cups. Just enough pieces for me to feel like there's variety, but not an overwhelming amount tumbling on my head when I open the cabinet. 

I took it for it's first whirl last night. Feeling hungry with a plethora of random fruits & veggies in my refrigerator  I decided to make a simple green machine with about 1 cup spinach, one granny smith apple sliced and a whole banana sliced.
 

At this point, I realized the jar might actually be a little smaller/narrower than those of the Magic Bullet, because I really didn't anticipate getting to the top so quickly. So I blended a little before adding some ice and splash of water. Then blended again and voila! A yummy simple healthy Green Machine smoothie.

 



Yum! Now that I've broken the seal, I'll see what other concoctions of smoothies, sauces and salsas I can make with this thing since clean up is such a cinch! 

But seriously for $19.99, this was quite the steal, and definitely gives the Magic Bullet a run for it's money. I think it was much quieter, and I personally think it's much prettier too :)

Oh I also used my new Martha Stewart knives, but cutting fruit doesn't give an accurate evaluation of sharpness. I'll wait until I'm cutting up some meat to give the run down.

xox




1 comment: